Proposed battery energy storage system prompts concern in Blendon Township
A proposed large-scale battery energy storage system in Blendon Township has sparked environmental and health concerns among residents, though a formal application for the project has not yet been submitted.
BLENDON TWP. — A proposed large-scale battery energy storage system in Blendon Township has sparked environmental and health concerns among residents, though a formal application for the project has not yet been submitted.
Township officials are considering a proposal for a battery energy storage system, or BESS, which is designed to store electricity from the power grid and release it during periods of peak demand.
The parcel would be at 8284 88th Ave., located in the township's northwest corner.
The concept is new to the township and to much of Michigan, which currently has no battery storage facilities in place.
“This is new to us,” said Township Supervisor Greg Golembiewski. “Everyone has more questions than answers right now.”
The company, Key Capture Energy, first approached township officials with the proposal about 18 months ago. Residents’ primary concerns revolve around the risks of fires and potential groundwater contamination from a chemical leak.
Golembiewski confirmed on Wednesday, Aug. 28, that no formal application had been submitted by KCE. The township’s planning commission would need to approve the project once it is formally presented before anything can happen, Golembiewski said.
“There is nothing on the planning commission agenda, and I haven’t heard back from Key Capture about their application. We don’t like to speculate until we see a formal application and there is nothing right now,” he said.
Many residents attended an Aug. 18 public hearing to voice opposition to the facility, highlighting a local dispute now intertwined with a statewide legal challenge over renewable energy development in Michigan. According to meeting minutes, residents expressed fears about fire, water contamination and safety, including:
- Fire risks associated with large-scale battery storage facilities.
- Water usage, especially in light of current issues with wells drying up in the area.
- Lack of clear evacuation plans for neighboring areas in the event of an emergency.
“Residents urged the board to reconsider the ordinance and to take into account the safety, environmental, and governance implications before proceeding,” according to the meeting minutes.
Golembiewski said residents have “valid” concerns, which is why the company held a public hearing about the project in July. At that time, KCE officials were on site to answer questions and address residents’ concerns.
If the project is built, Blendon Township would be the first Michigan location for KCE which owns and operates 14 facilities — 11 in Texas and three in New York — totaling more than 620 megawatts.
What is BESS?
According to the Economic Development Responsibility Alliance of Michigan, large-scale battery storage sites are a crucial part of the new renewable energy grid. Because industrial wind turbines and solar fields do not produce a constant supply of power, BESS facilities store electricity for when it is needed most.
The BESS sites, which look like rows of shipping containers filled with lithium-ion batteries, can draw surplus energy from the power grid. They then sell this stored electricity back to utility companies at a higher price during periods of high demand, helping to balance the grid and prevent shortages.
The proposed Blendon Township site is a 12-acre site at 8284 88th Ave., where KCE hopes to put a four-hour, 100-megawatt battery storage facility.
Company officials have said they chose the location because it has the capacity to house standalone battery storage. The property is also close to the existing transmission grid and has an adjacent electric substation, which makes it easier to connect to the existing system.
Next steps
Blendon Township could consider two paths for permitting the KCE project. If the township approves a Compatible Renewable Energy ordinance, it could receive a State Renewable Ready Communities Grant.
This grant would pay the township $5,000 per megawatt-hour, totaling $500,000 for the KCE facility. The township would receive half of that amount when construction begins and the other half when the project is finished.
However, if the township denies the proposal, KCE can bypass the local approval process and apply directly to the state under Act 233, a law signed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in November 2023. In that case, the township would not receive the grant money.
Support Our Work
Ottawa News Network is a nonprofit news service dedicated to providing the residents of Ottawa County with trustworthy, community-driven news. ONN treats journalism as a public good — something that enriches lives and empowers Ottawa County’s 300,000-plus residents to stay engaged, make informed decisions, and strengthen local democracy. Please consider giving today.
The 2023 legislation shifted the authority for citing large-scale renewable energy projects from local governments to the Michigan Public Service Commission. Under the new law, developers can bypass local permitting processes and seek state approval if a township’s ordinance is deemed too restrictive or an application is denied despite meeting new statewide standards.
In the meantime, Golembiewski said he does not anticipate KCE will abandon its plans for Blendon Township.
“I don’t believe Key Capture is going to pack up and leave town. They have money invested so far. They do their homework as far as their locations go and preliminary work on site preparation and what it would look like and what it would take,” he said.
However, he cautioned that if the township doesn't agree to a “workable, compatible ordinance,” the company could go the appeal route.
“As human beings, we don’t like anything forced on us, and we want to have something to say about it,” Golembiewski said, emphasizing that a local ordinance would give the township a say on matters such as setbacks, screening and fire protection.
— Heather VanDyke covers northern Ottawa County for the Ottawa News Network. Contact her at hvandyke@ottawanewsnetwork.org.